9.19.2010

Happy Mooncake!

Every year around this time, mooncakes are sold like hotcakes to celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival otherwise known as Mooncake Festival. There have been many stories that surrounded this festival, but the most famous legend played a possible role in Chinese history. Overrun by the Mongols in the thirteenth century, the Chinese threw off their oppressors in 1368 AD. Mooncakes were the perfect vehicle for hiding and passing along plans for the rebellion. Families were instructed not to eat the mooncakes until the day of the moon festival, which was when the rebellion took place and succeeded.

I don't know about you, but I'm not much into history like my husband is. However, every year I make a point to eat these yummy mooncakes to celebrate. Although the actual date doesn't start until September 22nd, that didn't stop Chinatown Philly from celebrating admidst parades and lion dances.
IMG_1266

It also happened to fall on my dad's 50th bday. My dad had bought this while cruising with NCL over Labor Day weekend. I've never seen anything like this, so I had to take a pic.
IMG_1120

There's a funny story that happened in FL with my sister's bf, but long story short, don't mess with a kid's favorite fruit. They may come back with their little friends to bully you. =P I've never actually had this particular fruit which is called Sugar Candy Apple, but apparently they taste like mangos. I definitely need to try it one of these days, but until then, a photo to remember by. =)
IMG_1464

Last but not least, my favorite person in the whole world right now. My awesome cutie patootie nephew. He's always so happy and giggling and just freaking adorable. I miss him already.
IMG_1272

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© MYU Photography